Concert Review: Sarah Jaffe at Mucky Duck [1/20/2011]
6:39 PM | Author: madcakeshandy

Denton-born singer/songwriter Sarah Jaffe made her way to McConigel's Mucky Duck in Houston for a very small, intimate performance last Thursday. Being a Texas-native, she isn't a stranger to the Space City. Having never been to Mucky Duck before, I was intrigued to see what type of concert experience it would provide. Mucky Duck is an Irish pub, but dually serves as a supper club and venue. They have quite an extensive wine list, and a decent pub food menu to complement it. What makes it a "supper club" per se is that you have the possibility of sitting at a table with another party. My friends and I were accompanied by three other lovely people, which led to a completely different experience. It is refreshing to be forced to interact with strangers, as strange as that sounds. 

Bosque Brown (also from Denton, TX) was the sole opener for Jaffe. Bosque Brown was started by singer/songwriter Mara Lee Miller while she was attending University of North Texas. It wasn't that her talent was shoddy or lackluster, but I wasn't in the mood for such a minimal, almost repetitive, performance. Also, there was absolutely not interaction with the audience. I mean, none. I think I heard crickets before I took a smoke break. Maybe I should give her another chance?

Around 9:00 pm, the lady of the hour hit the stage. Her set only lasted about 50 minutes or so, which was a tad disappointing. Nonetheless, I was still entranced by her performance. I've been a fan for a good while now, and it was great to finally see her in person. Her voice resonated just as powerfully live as it does on her recordings. You could not only hear the passion in her voice, but you could see it in her face as well. Jaffe sang a mix of previously recorded tracks and some brand new ones that had never graced an audience's ears. Popular songs such as "Clementine" and "Vulnerable" received very positive reactions from the audience. A newer song that stuck out to me was "A Sucker for Your Marketing". After those words left her lips, I immediately thought to myself, "story of my life." Jaffe was very charismatic and had a certain candor about her. Compared to the opening act, it was refreshing to have so much artist interaction. If I wanted to hear an album with no interruptions, I can stay at home and listen to my iPod. Jaffe even handled her own merch table. My favorite quote from her was, "If I can hear you smiling, you need more water." I'm pretty sure everyone can relate to that statement. I might have to borrow that phrase next time I'm out with my lushes friends.

With all of the accolades and buzz she is receiving from the indie music world, seeing Sarah Jaffe in a setting such as this was definitely special. I have a gut feeling that she is going to explode in 2011. Texas might be one of the reddest states in the country, but at least we have a damn good music scene.

Check out "A Sucker For Your Marketing"...



This entry was posted on 6:39 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: