Album Review: Kitsuné Maison 10: The Fireworks Issue
10:29 AM | Author: madcakeshandy

Who knew an overpriced luxury clothing retailer/record label could produce such magnificently orchestrated albums? It's refreshing to see such variety in a compilation. When I first discovered these mixes, I expected nothing but hipster electro and stereotypical indie rock. Luckily, I was dead wrong [Well, there is a good amount of electro, but it's the good kind.]. I've discovered countless new artists through the Kitsune Maison music collection.

Kitsune released the tenth installation of their popular series, and I am not disappointed with this playlist at all. No, I'm not in love with every single track, but I don't detest any of them (and that's saying something). Right from the start, I was blown away with the first track, Cascadeur's  "Walker" (Early Remix). It is hauntingly beautiful and heartbreaking and has quickly become a favorite of mine. Everyone knows I love depressing music. Does that make me somewhat of a masochist? Cascadeur's music is full of piano and synth, and emits a very ethereal, calming vibe. Do yourself a favor and listen for yourself. Grab a box a tissues while you're at it.

Other memorable tracks include: Strange Talk - "Climbing Walls", Black Strobe - "Me & Madonna" (The Twelves Remix), Digitalism - "Blitz", Yelle - "La Musique", Housee De Racket - "Chateau", and Two Door Cinema Club - "What You Know" (Mustang Remix). It would require far too many words to describe every song on this two disc compilation, and I don't possess the attention span right now for that. I'll just pick three more to discuss.

"Climbing Walls" comes from Australian synth-pop group Strange Talk. They are a relatively new indie band (what band isn't these days), but I'm a fan of their sound. It doesn't come from out of the blue, but it's very comfortable to the ear. If you adore Phoenix, you'll appreciate these guys.

Digitalism isn't a foreign name to those of us who are passionate about electro/dance parties, but if you haven't listened to them before, check out "Pogo". You won't be disappointed by the song or the video. I know this is a very bold statement to make, but they're kind of Daft Punk-ish. Don't kill me for saying that. I love Daft Punk just as much as the next person. Digitalism is actually signed to the Kitsune label, so it isn't a surprise to find them on here. "Blitz" is their latest, long-awaited single. It will pretty much explode through your computer/iPod/"insert Apple technology here" and put you in a music coma.

"Me & Madonna" has two things going for it; Black Strobe AND The Twelves. The Twelves have produced an unimaginable number of remixes, and I haven't listened to one I didn't like, including this one. The Parisian dance rockers Black Strobe have been around since 1996, and "Me & Madonna" is over eight years old. Although a great track in its original form, The Twelves have just freshened it up for a newer generation of  music aficionados.

I can vividly picture this entire album being amplified over the speakers of a trendy clothing boutique full of twenty-somethings. I guess that's part of the purpose? Nonetheless, I would play this album at a gathering of friends anytime.  Creating playlists is a skill I pride myself on. I've stared at my laptop countless times as I try to perfect the perfect mix for whatever event was approaching....but if I can avoid that hassle, I am more than happy to do so. 

Kitsune Maison 10: The Fireworks Issue is unquestionably worth checking out, but don't assume you will love all twenty-five tracks. You'll like some, you'll love some, but you probably won't scoff at any of them.

Check out a live performance of "Walker" below:


This entry was posted on 10:29 AM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: