I'm on the edge of something beautiful
12:50 AM | Author: madcakeshandy
As I sipped on a bloody mary at 11:00 am at Red Eyed Fly during SXSW this year, Ed Harcourt was one of the first artists of the day. Most often, when you walk into a bar during SXSW that early, no one knows who the first few performers are. Your are most likely in there because they have free booze. I was impressed by his performance (shoot, he used a telephone as a microphone), but sort of forgot about finding his music later on. Luckily, I noticed an ad for his newest album, The Beautiful Lie, on last.fm. He has a sort of raspy, yet endearing, voice. One of my favorite songs on the album is "Late Night Partner." Since music is my life, and this is a music blog, there are some lyrics that I can relate to:

Be my late night partner
Oh pull me from the crowd
With all of your old records
We'll drink 'til we pass out
Where are the moments that I feel so alive?
I've lost everyone I need
But music slays my heart and soul
Every hour, day and week
I'm on the edge of something beautiful.


Music is that late night partner. Even when it seems you've lost everyone, music can always be there for you to comfort you, or lift your spirits, no matter what time it is. Hmm....maybe this is why I have listened to my iPod every night since I've been in Hot Springs. Its comforting to know that your favorite song isn't going to change tomorrow. It's going to last the same three minutes and eight seconds until the very last time you listen to it. Those three minutes and eight seconds can either make you laugh, dance, cry, etc. and will always be able to make you feel the way you want. Its not going to get up an change without notice. At least for me, that is the message I get from the song "Late Night Partner."

Unlike music, as Ludo so plainly states, "Milkshakes melt, people change." Different situations can cause you to see people in a different light, whether it be a positive one or a negative one. During times like these, it is most important to make an evaluation and adjust accordingly. You have to do what's in the best interest of everyone involved. In my mind, its better to have these experiences early on to learn from, rather than too late. As tough as things may seem for the time being, it will only make you a stronger person in the future.

Time to push play on my iPod again...
|
This entry was posted on 12:50 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.