I got the blues
8:56 PM | Author: madcakeshandy
Memphis. The city where blues and barbecue are king. Living so close to unique places like this, I feel like its necessary to take advantage of the situation. Sometimes you just have to do things and ask questions later. It was a nice change from the Hot Springs life. Memphis has such a laid back, relaxed, down home, cultured feel to it. Driving into the city, crossing over the Mississippi River, getting a first look at the city from afar: awesome. As we drove along the river, we decided to park the car, enjoy the beautiful weather, and walk to Beale Street. The sounds of live blues, jazz, and funk music filled the air. I forgot how much I missed hearing local, live music. Funk-cover bands, dueling pianos, blues music rang from bars and clubs along the street, and I'm sure that is only a taste of what Memphis has to offer. Visiting cities where music has such an important influence is very comforting and refreshing, at least for me.

Something that was even more refreshing were the people I encountered. I have a huge respect for those who can live their lives so freely, and not feel obligated to be, well, anything they aren't. The musicians we saw and their fans were ridiculously carefree, and it was a Sunday night! At one of the bars where a jazzy funk band was shelling out some tunes, the fact that we didn't know anyone was not an issue. The way music can bring strangers together is amazing. That's just another reason why it is so important to me. Music has introduced me to some of the most important people in my life, and something like that can never be replaced. Its crazy how things like music can have such an effect on your life. It may start out as sort of a hobby, or just a minor interest, but it can grow into to something that changes your life forever.

I did meet some very "interesting" people as well. As I was dancing in some bar, this older (and probably intoxicated) woman kept dancing closer and closer to me, smiling. Yeah, no thank you. Then, this other woman with a "great personality" (if you know what I mean) told me to "get my ass back on the dance floor." She continued to talk about me with her friend and looked at me constantly. I did not want to get into awkward situation I couldn't get out of. I feel like that is the story of my life sometimes.

We also went to Graceland, home to the King of Rock and Roll. After almost four hours of touring the grounds, I think we got the full Elvis experience. I must say, I truly enjoyed myself. This was probably a once in a lifetime experience, and I loved it. Getting a firsthand look at the life of such an American legend cannot be duplicated.

Another cool place we visited was the Gibson guitar factory. I had a chance to mess around with a "robot guitar," meaning self-tuning. They are ridiculously cool, and only cost $3600. If you are thinking about buying me a present, that is a new option.

This past weekend was best I've had so far here in Arkansas:
  1. The Starship concert went very smoothly
  2. We had a ridiculous/crazy/fun night out on the town for a friend's birthday on Saturday. Gotta love a little slap the bag action every once in awhile. Plus, you know I just love drinking out of a paint can.
  3. A roadtrip to Memphis.
I feel ready for another week of work because all I have to do is think about what I did in those three short days to put a smile on my face.

P.S. - Memphis dry rub ribs = delicious
This entry was posted on 8:56 PM and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On June 19, 2008 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous said...

mmmm dry rub ribs.
you can send those on down whenever you get a chance.