a swell season indeed.
11:52 AM | Author: madcakeshandy
Fantasy Man you are always one step ahead of me
well I never heard the warnings
I haven't got things right
yet the sun came out this morning
and filled my room with light


I know I probably write and/or talk about these two individuals much too often, but I can't help it. Just look at this photo
. Aren't they absolutely adorable? I'll answer for you: yes, they are. The Swell Season has become a staple in everyone's music library since Once was released. Sadly, many people were not lucky enough to have experienced Glen Hansard and his band, The Frames. The Oscar-winning song, "Falling Slowly" was actually released in 2006. But I digress...

I finally got my hands on the deluxe edition of Strict Joy, their latest album. The first disc consists solely of new tracks, but the second is a mix of live performances. As for the new songs, The Swell Season does what they do best: songs of joy, sadness, and unrequited love. Almost all of the songs have a certain element that anyone can relate to. Tracks such as "Fantasy Man", "The Verb", and "Back Broke" fit that bill. On the other hand, some of the new songs are leaning towards more of a pop rock sound (Example: "High Horses"). Although I frown upon many of today's pop rock/mainstream bands and their often inarticulate lead singers, Glen and Marketa got it right.

As far as the live disc goes, it is pretty spectacular. I didn't expect to see the word "live" after half the tracks. If you have seen these guys live, you know what I'm talking about. Listening to Glen Hansard belt out the highest of high notes can only give you chills and will most likely bring a tear to your eye. Trust me, I submitted myself to both when I stood in awe at their Austin City Limits performance in 2008. They are currently on and will make their way to Houston on Friday, November 13th.

You just can't really go wrong with Glen and Marketa. This album is perfect for the coming seasons. Now all I need to do is start that roaring fire, and I'll be set.

Take a listen to The Swell Season's "Fantasy Man" below. You won't be disappointed.







This entry was posted on 11:52 AM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: